Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Horse Day

Hi all. I had the best horse day and just wanted to share. I ride with a couple of other mid-aged women on Tuesday mornings. Usually, we ride in the arena and then maybe take a short trial ride. (it's called hacking in the English world) We decided to go on a long hack today. Wow. It's been awhile since I've been on horseback for 3 hours. It was such a great day. The wind was blowing so it wasn't too hot. We raced up the hills and walked down. We played trail blazer in the trees and practiced backing our horses through tight places. It was fantastic--until my friend Chris's horse exploded. He is a huge thoroughbred. Granted, I ride a pony but the bottom of her horses stomach is almost level with my horses back! Anyway first he kicked my Harry, nailed him. Then he started this " whoo I'm scared I'm backing up" crap. He backed into a fence which scared him. Chris smacked him forward which pissed him off so he reared a lone ranger rear and came down in a full fledge bronco "I want you the hell off my back" buck. Chris flew about 3 feet in the air and landed on his back. It was pretty spectacular. When she landed, he was taught that was not cool and she was the boss. THey had a small war. Little 5'2" Chris won. Yea! We finished our ride.

So after shampooing the horses and turning them out we decided to go to Italy for lunch. Our favorite cafe was closed by this time (it was after 2:00) So we found an antique shop and deli. Sounded charming--except the only lady working spoke about as much English as I speak Spanish. I ordered a Turkey on Wheat and got an avocado on rye. We don't know what Chris got. Liz was easy just a salad . The lady was so concerned that Liz just wanted a salad she came to our table and watched her eat shaking her head and said something like, " No chese, no dress, no, no, bad. I bring chips." We finally convinced her everybody was happy, and although we didn't get what we ordered we did enjoy it. I didn't get home until after 4:00 pm so I'm procrastinating before working. I'm walking on slinky's and my butt is too tired to feel, but it's a great kind of fatigue, like a night of wild passion with your hubby. Okay maybe you have to be a horse person to make that leap. Hope you're all well.
Mary

No comments: